01 Feb Cryolipolyse
WHAT IS CRYOLIPOLYSIS?
Cryolipolysis is a method to break down fat cells in the human body by exposing them to cold. The principle is based on the controlled cooling of certain body parts in order to locally reduce fat accumulations of fat in a non-invasive manner and improve the contours of the body. The exposure to cold will selectively destroy fat cells in the subcutaneous fat, without harming any other surrounding tissue. The method is presented as a non-surgical alternative to liposuction.
WHAT IS A TREATMENT LIKE?
An applicator is placed on the area to be treated, which sucks the fat in between two plates that will cool down the subcutaneous fat layer. After sufficiently long exposure to a controlled temperature (± -8° C), a natural process during which the fat cells die off (apoptosis) will begin. These dead cells are removed from the body by the immune system via the lymph system.
HOW LONG WILL A TREATMENT TAKE?
It is advisable to allow the applicator to do its job for seventy minutes, in order to realise sufficient cooling of the subcutaneous fat tissue. After treatment, the area is massaged for five to ten minutes.
Hoelang duurt een behandeling?
Aangeraden wordt om de applicator gedurende 70 minuten te laten inwerken, dit om een voldoende koeling van het onderhuidse vetweefsel te bekomen. Na de behandeling wordt de zone los gemasseerd gedurende 5 à 10 minuten.
IS A TREATMENT PAINFUL?
The powerful suction of fat tissue may cause a slightly uncomfortable sensation for a few minutes, but the low temperature will soon have a localised numbing effect. The rest of the treatment is painless. Patients are free to read, listen to music, work on their laptops or even go to sleep.
MUST YOU ACCOUNT FOR ANY “DOWNTIME” AFTER THE TREATMENT?
No, patients can continue with their regular activities immediately after the treatment. The only exception is when a patient’s belly was locally treated. In that case, they are advised to avoid heavy physical activity that puts a strain on their abdominal region for a period of 48 hours.
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT?
The treatment can reduce the subcutaneous fat layer by 20% to 40%, which is equal to one or two centimetres per treatment.
Depending on the thickness of the subcutaneous fat layer at the start of the treatments and depending on the desired results, one to three treatments will be needed.
The results will become visible after three to four weeks. If the treatment plan includes multiple treatments, the next treatment can be scheduled from four weeks after the previous session. In that case, it is possible to realise another reduction of the subcutaneous fat layer by 20%, bringing the total reduction to 40% to 60%.
The final results are realised circa three months after the last session.
ARE THE RESULTS PERMANENT?
TDuring the treatment, the affected fat cells will die off and be removed permanently.
If the patient retains their weight, the results will have long-term stability.
Cryolipolysis is a very safe method for localised fat removal. Nevertheless, some patients report occasional and minor discomfort and/or side-effects. This list specifies all side-effects that have ever been reported after a cryolipolysis treatment.
- Rash (redness) in the treated area, which can last from several minutes to a few days.
- Localised bruising, caused by the suction process.
- Paraesthesia and dysesthesia (changes to the skin sensation) in the treated area, which can last up to eight weeks after the treatment.
- Fatigue with a small chance of fever within twenty-four hours after the treatment.
- Pain during the treatment itself, particularly during the first ten minutes of the session.
- An uncomfortable feeling in the treated area after the session, which can last seven to ten days.
- In highly exceptional cases: fainting, superficial wounds associated with the effects of frostbite.
- Paradoxical adipose hyperplasia (PAH): Paradoxical hyperplasia is an extremely rare side-effect (0.0051%) during which the fat reacts by increasing in volume, rather than melting away. Although this rare condition is quite uncomfortable and disappointing, your plastic surgeon can easily resolve the situation with a local liposuction.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Men and women who, despite eating a healthy diet and getting enough physical exercise, suffer from unwanted localised fat accumulations, usually on the belly, the back or the inner arms or thighs. Cryolipolysis is not a suitable treatment for obese patients.
- Efficient: visible results after just one session
- Without risk: no downtime, no medication or aftercare needed